Breaking the Silence: Depression
Erik's Story As a kid, trying to find solace in life was difficult. I was an intelligent but rather uncoordinated individual, not unlike a young Sheldon Cooper. I was into art, building with LEGO® bricks and playing computer games. Unfortunately, this was before "nerd-culture" became chic. Being bullied in school was a way of life, an everyday occurrence.Be the first to comment! Read more...
Know Your Care - Understanding your health and how to maintain it. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. This age-old proverb certainly carries its share of credibility. It’s spawned several studies by researchers about the health benefits of apples. People around the world live by it by keeping their crispers crammed with the tasty treat. No doubt about it, loyalty to the apple is long lived because this proverb professes how good it is for us. Know what else is good for... Read more..
The evolution of the subspecialty of cardiology is widely considered being responsible for the greatest prolongation of life in industrialized nations. Advancements in science and technology coupled with the expertise of various medical experts in the field have contributed to a significant decrease in heart disease and heart-related conditions. Although heart disease continues to be a leading killer, the death rate by age and impact to population per capita during the 21st... Read more..
Retired nurse finds relief after suffering for four years - The news was devastating. Just months after retiring from a successful 41-year career in nursing, Richmond resident Patricia Smith* was diagnosed with breast cancer. Her doctor caught it early though, and Smith was otherwise healthy. After a double mastectomy in November 2011, the cancer was gone. Things were going well on most fronts, but Smith had one issue that many women her age deal with: vaginal dryness,... Read more..
In 2016, our New Kitchen, New Nutrition, New You series puts the focus on helping you get healthier in the kitchen — one ingredient at a time. Each edition of OurHealth will highlight small changes you can make in your food prep and shopping habits that can add up to a major positive impact on your nutrition and health. Our goal is to present you with suggestions you can use and build on that will help you create a healthier kitchen — and life — by year's end. Read more..
Local Health Updates
- 1/29/2016: Henrico Doctors’ Hospital to Hold 1st Annual RVA Birth Community Celebration Event to feature actress, producer and Emmy-Award winning talk show host Ricki Lake
- 1/28/2016: Ballroom Dance Lessons in Richmond VA, Now Available from Richmond Ballet Company Alum
- 1/25/2016: Johnston-Willis Hospital Earns Accreditation for Radiation Oncology
- 1/13/2016: VCU Researchers and International Partners First to Identify Shared Risk Genes for Anxiety Disorders
- 1/4/2016: The Little Clinic and VCU Health announce new health care collaboration
- 12/29/15: Bon Secours Medical Group Launches Online Physician Appointment Scheduling